Consulting for Restaurants, Bars, & Nightclubs
Salisbury & Associates Consulting is a professional management consulting company specializing in the restaurant industry. We are committed to providing your business with top level service. Whether yours is a new or existing concept, you’re just beginning, or have years of experience, call Salisbury & Associates. We’ll provide a fresh look and give your business a custom tailored plan to improve your profits..
As owners and operators of successful businesses themselves, the Salisbury & Associates Consulting group consists of a diverse team with over 75 years of collective experience. Team members have been featured in The Washington Post, Washingtonian Magazine, and Nightclub and Bar Magazine, as well as local print and internet media for their many successes. From these successes, they have refined their goal: to improve results through branding, proper training, and sales & profit increases. Accordingly, for each business they work with, they strive to:
- Maintain/establish a foothold in the target area
- Secure a competitive edge
- Increase sales & profits while decreasing potential loss
Their experience, eagerness and goal oriented approach allows Salisbury & Associates to enhance, cultivate and renovate restaurant concepts in any market.
Salisbury & Associates Services
- Mystery Shopper
- Cost Controls
- Human Resources
- Business/Real Estate Valuation
ServSafe©: Safe Food Handling Certification ServSafe©: Responsible Alcohol Service Certification Management Bartender Server Host/Hostess Bus Boy Cook Dish Washer Cost Controls Accounting/Back Office
We will visit your business and give a report on our findings. We can also provide a full assessment of your business and give a detail of our findings with suggestions of how to fix it. We assess exterior, interior, and bathroom facilities; service, food, and management quality; cash handling and other loss prevention aspects; other critical points to improve upon; areas that are done well.
- Web Site Development
- Web Site Content Management
- Social Media Sites
- Electronic Marketing
- Email Lists
- Customer Databases
- POS Systems
- Microsoft Office
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Soundbooth
- Adobe Illustrator
If you have management needs we can help. We can manage your entire business from A to Z, place managers to train your current managers, contract out managers, or head hunt new managers for you.
- Inventory – we can handle your inventory process for you or teach you how to do it.
- Costing – we can also calculate your food, bar, operating supplies and other costs.
- Budgeting – we can develop realistic budgets for you based on your actual sales and purchase history, projections, best practices, and industry standards.
- Reconciliation – we’ll reconcile your sales versus purchases, voids, discounts, reports.
- Secret Shopper – we will visit your business and give a detailed report on our findings of what is right, what is wrong, and suggestions to fix it.
- Waste Control – we will develop procedures to help reduce your waste and increase your profits.
- Waste Analysis – we will analyze where you can cut costs or be more productive with your staff, inventory, and time.
- Promotions- we can help you develop promotions for yourself or run them for you.
- Advertising- we will suggest the best use of your advertising dollars and how to lay them out.
- Marketing- we can set up marketing programs for you or handle your marketing for you.
- Event Management- we can manage your events that you’ve developed for you.
- Graphic Design- we can design flyers, menus, logos, and more for your business or give pointers and suggestions on how to do them yourself.
- Printing- we can print your flyers, banners, menus, business cards and other documents, usually cheaper than your local printer.
We can handle your merchandising needs. Whether it’s hats, uniforms, tee shirts, pens, or whatever else you may need, we can get it for you. We can also suggest what would work best for your business type. We also offer design and print services.
We can help staff your restaurant in the DC/Northern Virginia area through our extensive network. We can usually recommend a candidate from prior experience working with them or have personal knowledge of their work ethics and abilities. We can help in all areas of the restaurant, including but not limited to:
Restaurant General Manager Assistant General Manager Front of House Manager Back of House Manager Bar Manager Chef Kitchen Manager Sous Chef Garde Manger Chef de Cuisine Mis en Place Porter Bartender Server Host(ess) Office Manager Bookkeeper Marketing Manager IT Manager
Employee Evaluations Employee Job Descriptions Management Job Descriptions Interviewing and Hiring Employees Counseling employees Employee termination Safe Food Handling Certification Responsible Alcohol Service
Renovations Build-out Improvements Flow of Food Flow of Bar Flow of Business Work Flow Interior Design/Layout Exterior Design/Layout Conceptualization Evaluation Custom furnishings Other custom carpentry
Staff Training Management Training Policies & Procedures Recipe Books
Menu Development Recipe Development Menu Design & Layout Menu Printing Menu Costing Specials Menu
Sale of Business Purchase of Business Lease Review Letters of Intent Business Valuation Improvement of Profitability Improvement of Sales Re-design/re-conceptualize your business
Meet The Salisbury Team
- Owner and President, Jeff Salisbury
- Contracting Expert Associate, Chris Salisbury
- Executive Chef Expert Associate, James Gibney
- Bartending & Promotions Expert, Ray “Gizmo” Ward
A lifelong DC metro area native, Jeff has been in the restaurant industry over 25 years. Starting out as a busboy as a teenager, Jeff has worked every position in the restaurant over the years up to and including Managing Partner for nationally renowned radio talk show host Mike O’Meara at O’Meara’s Restaurant & Pub when it was one of Northern Virginia’s hottest spots. He was also Director of Operations for The Shark Club & Pacific Grille when they were selected as the “#1 new billiard room in the world” in the October 1997 issue of Billiards Digest magazine and has been an accredited ServSafe©: Safe Food Handling Certification instructor and proctor since 1998. He has helped several restaurants increase sales and profits and others that have gone on to expand to multiple locations get started. Jeff’s skills in marketing aren’t limited to the restaurant industry. Using his skills in marketing and promotion, Jeff produced Wylde Style Radio w/ Kevin & Rock, who are then picked up by 106.7 FM The Fan in DC. Kevin is now featured on CBS radio and Fox TV; and, co-owns and runs the DC Metro Area’s largest and longest running MMA promotions. Jeff’s well rounded experience allows him to help you in all areas of the restaurant from Front of House to Back of House to Back Office and Marketing.
Chris is also a lifelong DC Metro area native. Starting as a teenager working on deck building, Chris soon showed his eye for detail, quality work, and creative designs. Taking these attributes and a keen business mind, he started his own deck building company. After years of success building custom commercial and residential decks, Chris turned to Custom Furnishings, including several bars, furnishings, banquettes and more in some of Northern Virginia’s most popular bars. He currently owns and operates Cherokee Construction and Blue Label Customs, has been featured on HGTV’s “Curb Appeal” and continues to work on restaurant projects.
James comes to us from “across the pond.” James graduated from the Colchester Institute, School of Hospitality and Catering in England. He has worked as an Executive Chef for several businesses and helped others get started and/or improved. He has worked in the US and England since his start in the business as a teenager in England. His passion for food and dynamic skills show in his presentations and tastes. His most notable positions were as Executive Chef at the Flight Deck in Manassas where he garnered accolades and awards for his cooking and as Sous Chef at the Keswick Club at the nationally renowned Keswick Inn in Charlottesville, VA. He is currently Executive Chef at a large chain based in New England.
A native of Herndon, VA, Ray aka “Gizmo” has bartended and managed restaurants throughout Northern VA for over 15 years and been in the business another 5. He is the Guinness Book of Records record holder, along with Mike Fobes, for most hours behind the bar (he spent 17 days straight behind the bar) and is a partner in The Fastest Bartender Contest. Gizmo is a well known bartender in the DC area who goes above and beyond to help with local bar promotions and fund raisers. His creative and energetic approach to promotions combine to make his events successful!
Our past and/or current clients:
- Backyard Grill
- CJ Finz
- Crystal City Sports Pub
- Dream Nightclub-DC
- Dunkin’ Donuts
- Emanuel Christian School
- Espresso Cafe
- Fat Punk’s
- Fish Market
- Hooters of Chantilly
- Ibiza Nightclub-DC
- Insomnia Nightclub-DC
- Jim Beam
- Jimmy’s Old Town Tavern
- KC’s Restaurant & Bar
- Mackey’s American Grill
- Manhattan Pizza
- O’Meara’s Restaurant & Pub
- Old Town Sports Pub
- Operation Octagon
- O’Toole’s Roadhouse Restaurant
- PINK Vodka
- PJ Skidoos
- PrimeTime Sports Bar & Grille
- Prince William County Health Department
- Queen’s Gambit
- Rhino Bar & Pump House
- Shark Club & Pacific Grille
- Silver Eagle Group
- Tim’s II
- Tim’s Rivershore
- Tony’s New York Pizza
- Velocity 5 Sports Restaurant & Bar
- Water’s Edge
- Yorkshire Restaurant
- Z Pizza
- Zandra’s Taqueria